St. Louis Alderman Ogilvie discusses MLS stadium project in studio

St. Louis 24th Ward Alderman Scott Ogilvie came in studio during The Ryan Kelley Morning After on Monday to discuss a myriad of topics surrounding the proposed downtown MLS stadium.

Ogilvie gave his thoughts on SC STL’s financing plan and responded to Ways and Means Committee chair Stephen Conways calling his actions “childish” at Thursday’s committee after no vote was taken on putting the stadium proposal on the city’s April ballot.

Read some excerpts and listen to the full interview below (starts at 17:10):

On Conway’s comments Friday morning:

“I think Steve came on Friday morning and said myself and other people prevented the vote from happening…that’s 100 percent not true. A vote could’ve happened. In fact, Steve called for a vote…and realized he didn’t have the votes to pass the bill and withdrew his motion to have a vote. The reality is…a vote shouldn’t have happened on Thursday. I would say it’s reckless to expected a committee to vote on 25 percent of the plan when they haven’t seen the other 75 percent of the plan. There’s no reason we couldn’t have seen the rest of that much sooner.”

Related: Dave Peacock talks MLS stadium financials: Deal is good for St. Louis

On the financing plan of the stadium:

“St. Louis has made some bad decisions over the years. I think it’s our job to listen to people who should know more about this…like the budget director, the city comptroller, who are saying, ‘Look guys, slow down.’ The city has major financial and budget problems. We’re at a point where all of these things are trade-offs.”

Related: Soccer stadium bill sponsor says she got financing plan “ridiculously late”

On Dave Peacock saying on TMA there’s there’s no risk to the city:

“Peacock rightly says if the use tax goes up…that tax increase basically covers up the city’s portion of the stadium. But what he doesn’t say is that money could also be used for something else. We’ve spent two or three years now debating…about the fact that we don’t pay police officers enough…we’ve seen a major crime spike the last couple years. Residents of St. Louis know this stuff. The idea that there’s no cost to the city is just false.”


SHARE